Born in 1985, Piotr Schmidt is a jazz tumpeter, music producer and publisher, band leader, and lecturer at the Jazz Institute of the University of Applied Sciences in Nysa and the Katowice Academy of Music, where in 2016 he gained a doctoral degree in Music. Piotr is the recipient of the Award of the President of Gliwice for achievements in the field of artistic creation, dissemination and protection of culture (2012) and the Occasional Award of the Minister of Culture and National Heritage (2013). In 2006 he won a scholarship to University of Louisville, Kentucky and early in his career (2006-2010) he won many individual awards at various prestigious international jazz competitions:
- Best Musician at the 2008 and 2009 Jazz nad Odrą competitions in Wrocław, Poland,
- Best Musician at the 2008 1st Tarnów Jazz Contest, Tarnów, Poland,
- Third place at the 2008 Zmagania Jazzowe in Szczecin, Poland,
- Grand Prix at the 2010 Novum Jazz Festival in Łomża, Poland,
- Best Soloist at the XXXIV Getxo Jazz Festival, Spain in 2010.
His bands received the following accolades:
- Grand Prix at the 30th International Contest of Young Jazz Groups Jazz Juniors, Kraków 2006
- Grand Prix at the 1st Tarnów Jazz Contest in 2008
- Grand Prix at the Krokus Jazz Festival, Jelenia Góra 2008
- Grand Prix at the 12th National Review of Young Jazz and Blues Groups, Gdynia 2009,
- Second place at the 32nd Hoeilaart Jazz Festival, Belgium 2010
- Grand Prix and Audience Award in XXXIV Getxo Jazz Festival, Spain 2010
To date, Piotr has produced and published nine own albums, including three with Piotr Schmidt Electric Group (aka Schmidt Electric). For the past six years Piotr has ranked among the best four jazz trumpeters in the annual Jazz Top poll of the Jazz Forum magazine and in 2012 and 2015 he ranked third.
Among Piotr’s many collaborators are: Walter Smith III, Alex Hutchings, Ernesto Simpson, Grzegorz Nagórski, Dante Luciani, Maciej Sikała, Piotr Baron, Wiesław Pieregorólka, Grzech Piotrowski, Wojciech Karolak, Wojciech Myrczek, Apostolis Anthimos, Marek Napiórkowski, Dominik Wania, Paweł Kaczmarczyk, Paweł Tomaszewski, Kazimierz Jonkisz, and Michał Barański. Piotr has also worked with such popularly acclaimed artists as Krystyna Prońko, Ewa Bem, Kuba Badach, Ten Typ Mes (Piotr Szmidt) i Miuosh.
As publisher and producer, Piotr Schmidt has created SJ Records through which, in the six years of existence, he has published 25 albums well regarded by music fans and professionals.
Tomasz Bura – pianist and composer, frontman and sideman. One of the best contemporary Polish jazz and funk pianists, Tomasz studied classical piano at the Katowice Academy of Music and has won several important jazz and classical competitions.
Since 2011 Tomasz lives in London, where he is an active and popular performer and educator. Tomasz has played in the UK (broadcast by MTV), Italy, France, Russia, Germany, Czech Republic, and Ukraine. He has collaborated with such popular artists as Atma Anur (drummer heard with, among others, David Bowie and Joe Satriani), Alex Hutchings, Ernesto Simpson, Michał Barański (Benny Maupin & Nigel Kennedy collaborator), Marcin Wyrostek (on the Mam Talent TV show), Edilson Sanchez, Thomas Sanchez, as well as the Zabrze Symphonic Orchestra and various classical ensembles.
Jazz is Tomasz’s chief inspiration. His easily recognisable style melds modern harmonies, virtuoso improvisations and a mature technique, and quickly got Tomasz noticed by the British public and musicians. Tomasz began composing at six and has built up a sizeable portfolio of own compositions, characterised by polyrhythms, innovative harmonies and digital sonorities.
In July 2016 Tomasz recorded his debut, Ritual. It is a 50-minute recital replete with beautiful melodies and exceptional improvisations. The critically acclaimed album is also well respected by fellow pianists, including the jazz piano master Krzysztof Herdzin.
Poland’s leading bass guitarist and double bassist, Michał Kapczuk started his musical education at Warsaw’s famous Bednarska Street Music School, got his Masters from the Katowice Academy of Music and his PhD from the the Kraków Academy of Music. He has co-created diverse musical projects ranging from pop and rock to jazz, and is a sought-after sideman.
With his bands Michał is the recipient of numerous Grands Prix and all the most important Polish and international competitions. His individual wins include:
- „Tarnów Jazz Contest 2008″ ,
- „Krokus Jazz Festiwal Jelenia Góra 2009″
- „Jazz Nad Odrą Wrocław 2010″,
Michał was also the recipient of the Młoda Polska (Young Poland) Award of the Minister for Culture and National Heritage.
Michał has played some of the most prestigious festivals in Poland, France, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, and Germany.
Drummer, graduate of the Jazz Institute at the Katowice Academy of Music and the 2007 scholar at the University of Louisville, Kentucky, Sebastian has collaborated with such bands as Wierba & Schmidt Quintet, Piotr Schmidt Electric Group, Biotone, Bartek Pieszka Quartet, Maciej Sikała Trio and Grzegorz Nagórski Quartet. He has also toured with Piotr Wojtasik, Wojciech Karolak, Michael Patches Stewart, Benjamin Drazen, Lora Szafran, Janusz Muniak, Janusz Skowron, Zbigniew Namysłowski, and Monika Borzym among others. His laurels include:
- nagroda solowa w kategorii Open oraz nagroda specjalna za Największy Talent Festiwalu na „I’st Tarnów Jazz Contest 2008
- nagroda indywidualna na Jazz nad Odrą we Wrocławiu/ 2010
- II nagroda na Jazz Hoeilaard w Belgii/ 2010
- I nagroda na konkursie XXXIV Getxo Jazz w Hiszpanii
- I nagroda na Krokus Jazz Festiwal w Jeleniej Górze/ 2011,
- I nagroda na Krokus Jazz Festiwal w Jeleniej Górze/ 2012
- Best Musician (in the Open category) and the special Greatest Talent award at the 2008 1st Tarnów Jazz Contest, Tarnów, Poland
- Best Musician at the 2010 Jazz nad Odrą, Wrocław, Poland
- Second place at the 32nd Hoeilaart Jazz Festival, Belgium 2010
- First Place at the XXXIV Getxo Jazz Festival, Spain 2010
- First Place at the Krokus Jazz Festival, Jelenia Góra 2011
- First Place at the Krokus Jazz Festival, Jelenia Góra 2012
Sebastian has recorded fifteen albums and was three times nominated for the prestigious Fryderyk award in the Jazz Phonographic Debut of the Year category for Ola Trzaska’s All Round, Przemysław Florczak’s Image Of My Personality, and Biotone’s Unspoken Words.